The Energizer Cowboys who kept things humming at the reunion

The Energizer Cowboys who kept things humming at the reunion
These kids know how to have fun!

Sunday, August 1, 2010

Young Single Activities

Usually we're so busy when we host a Young Singles Activity that I don't remember to take pictures.  Since we've been called in 2009 we've tried pretty successfully to distribute a monthly bulletin to 18-30 year olds both here in the 4th ward, to LDS college kids in the CEU dorm, and to those away from home or on missions.  We usually have about 30-40 to contact.


Since Corey Wauneka has lived with us 3 semesters the past two years, it's been a natural to have others his age in our home.  We usually host a Sunday Dinner once a month, as well as a game night.  Anywhere from 8-20 may show up, depending on the activity.  We especially feel this is important for the kids here going to college, as they don't have family near by.  Most of those are Navajo, and we feel a connection with them since our mission.  We've helped many get reactivated, get patriarchal blessings, attend Institute, and at least socialize with others who are LDS.   We celebrated his birthday Feb. 22.

 We've also mailed out packages for those on missions and in the Army.  Most recently I've set up two Facebook groups, one for those here in town, and one for out-of-town youth we've known over the 7+ years we've either worked as YSA ward advisors, or hosting home evenings.


In April 2009 we took Kim Black, Kayla Haley, and Corey Wauneka with us to April Conference.  This was a first for all three of them.


Matt, ready to launch his Root Beer Express



Last summer, Mary Baker, one of the BYU girls working in Ganado the summer 2008, contacted me via Facebook, and asked us to invite her boyfriend Matt Compton over, as he was very discouraged and lonely. He was working in Monticello for Canyonlands Youth Corps with teenagers all week, and was sleeping in his car on the weekends.  We called him immediately, and invited him to come over on the weekend.  He came to the YSA branch several times, as well as joined us for dinners, cookouts, and the famous Water Rocket Launch.  He was such a great young man, and we were glad we could step in and help in some way.


When Matt left in August, he sent us this note: “For I was an hungered, and ye gave me meat.  I was thirsty, and ye gave me drink.  I was a stranger, and ye took me in…Verily I say unto you.  Inasmuch as ye have done it to the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me.”  Matt. 25:35,40

I just wanted to write a quick note of thanks to you guys,.  You are truly wonderful people!  You are literal answers to my prayers in many ways.  May the Good Lord bless and keep you both for the kindess you have shown to me, a stranger.
This summer was very tough, but your hospitality helped me see the light again.  I’m forever grateful for you.  I know God will bless you, for you served me and Him. 
                           Your friend, Matt Compton.

Matt and Mary were married October 2010.  

No comments: