The Energizer Cowboys who kept things humming at the reunion

The Energizer Cowboys who kept things humming at the reunion
These kids know how to have fun!

Saturday, June 18, 2011

Steve's 2011 Garden

Every year I say I am going to plant a smaller garden. Each year I fill up the whole plot. This spring Janet decided she would like to have some strawberries and raspberries. Andrew and Amy brought me a few raspberry plants the first part of April. Unfortunately, some of them froze so I ordered 75 strawberry plants and 12 raspberry plants from Burgess. It took over a month and one half before they finally arrived. I also ordered 25 raspberry plants from Daisy farms. They were here within a week. Not all of the strawberry plant lived so I sent for the free replacements. We eventually hope to have a good strawberry and raspberry patch.
Even though my garden seems to be later this year the garden it is doing very well. I planted five rows of potatoes on April 07 with the good help of our granddaughter, Madison Wilcox. It took them a month to come up, but they look real good. I have also planted carrots, beets, spinach, radishes, lettuce, cabbage, Swiss chard, okra, onions, and 70 pepper plants of different varieties. I have cucumbers, zucchini, yellow and butternut squash.
    I have planted my first two plantings of corn and will plant the third planting in a week. Two of our grandsons, Sam and Ethan,  helped me plant the 2nd planting. The first planting is about 10 inches tall. I planted two rows of pole beans and on Monday I will put in the poles for the beans to climb. I put in 50 tomato plants and the tomatoes are setting on, plus I have honey dew, watermelon and cantaloupe that are doing well. The ground where I planted my tomatoes and melons is covered with black plastic and is irrigated by drip system. It takes very little water to water them and there will be no weeds. I appreciate my dad teaching me how to garden and because of his good example, I try to keep my garden weed free.

I receive great satisfaction from my garden and I really enjoy eating the fresh produce.  We ate our first radishes this weekend.

No comments: